Devised theatre is a process that requires the ultimate collaborative nature of a creative team. Essentially, one group of people are creating a completely original show based on their reactions and interpretations of a shared piece of source material. This time in quarantine has the potential to be artistically impactful for the lives of our teenagers. See also Part One of this course – they can be taken as standalone courses, but it’s fun to have the entire experience!
PART TWO: Second half of Fall
- Part Two involves careful planning of the show to be produced – writing, design, etc…
- The company will closely look at all of the compositions and conversations from Part One and develop thoughts on the central themes and ideas that emerged across the students’ work.
- As a team, but students taking the lead, we begin to develop the framework of the story we need to tell. Using compositions and journal entries, characters will be developed and a script will be fleshed out.
- Once we can get in the space, we start playing with tech elements and how to transform the BAAY space into something completely original.
- Then, we do the show (at some point)!
Ages: 13 – 17, 18 by permission
Staff: Olivia Theilemann, Instructor
Dates: Runs six weeks, Nov 3 -Dec 10. 2x/week, Tue and Thur, 6:00-7:00pm.
Format: Course will begin via Zoom and move to in-person if and as public health guidelines allow during the second half.
Our intention is to provide in-person instruction for every course if and when public health restrictions allow. For the most part, we expect this will mean Fall 2020 runs mainly via Zoom; we hope public health conditions improve so we can meet in-person. For families who prefer and request to have attendance via Zoom after in-person meetings begin again, we will strive to continue offering that attendance option, to increase accessibility.
Questions? Please click to email Olivia Theilemann.